Case Study

E-commerce Website SEO Results

Below is a detailed case study about a client of ours in the E-commerce space that got great results in only just a few months working with us.

Background

The business website we worked with was getting almost no traffic at all, even though it was registered in late 2013. The business owner had spent a huge amount of time & money on this site and built out a significant amount of pages, however it wasn’t getting hardly ANY traffic.

Audit

The first thing we always do is a complete and in-depth website audit, to see if it has any major underlying issues. This site had no penalties, it just never ranked page #1 for the target keywords. It also had no over optimization, they just didn’t have many links.

Ahrefs shows organic keywords but it doesn’t tell the whole story – You can see below that the site had keywords in the top 100, but that’s not as important in being in the top 10. That’s where our “easy wins analysis” REALLY COMES IN HANDY.

Easy Wins Analysis

With our effective easy wins analysis, we look for keywords that are ranking somewhere in Google, but not in the top spots where the majority of the traffic is. If we can identify these, and we can push them up and see quicker traffic gains.

For this site, we could identified 1001 easy wins keywords that are ranking mostly on page 2-3 with traffic between 10 to 9,400ms, with CPC (Cost-Per-Click) between about .50 cents to $6.

This site had a HUGE potential, but since the site wasn’t cracking page 1, it wasn’t getting much love.

Content Gap Analysis

With the content gap analysis, we look for competitor keywords that the site isn’t targeting yet, and this becomes the basis for our content creation.

For this site, we found 103 keywords volume between 150 – 2900 ms, with similar PPC costs to the easy wins. We worked with the client to pick out high priorities and selected some keywords based on their industry trends knowledge (This is why we work WITH the customers to understand business goals).

Here’s what our campaigns looked like:

Month 1:

  • 1 Guest Post – Exact match on easy wins
  • 1 Guest Post – Exact match (another kw) on another easy win
  • Link Building – partial match, brand, naked anchors
  • 1 x 1000 word post – informational kw focus based on industry trends

Month 2 – Very Similar

  • 1 Guest Post – money keyword variation
  • 1 Guest Post – money keyword variation
  • Link Building – partial match, branded, naked anchors
  • 1 x 1000 word post – money keyword

Month 3 – Similar, But got more anchor text diversity

  • 1 Guest Post – Branded
  • 1 Guest Post – Branded
  • Link Building – Branded, URL, Partial match mix
  • 1 x 1000 – Content gap kw, high volume

Results:

Since this site had a decent amount of content already, and had so many opportunities for easy wins, we really focused on getting those easy wins up to page 1.

When we were able to do this – The traffic exploded:

Takeaways

This was only 3 months of work and this site has a ton more potential. In the next 3 months, we’ll begin linking some high volume keywords that we used for content. This site is set up for domination in the niche!